Sunday 22 March 2015

Another -Novel - Volume 2

 
Rating - 5 out of 5 Sharp Umbrellas
My God that was a horrible joke


 
Another is one of those books that you just cannot put down. Honestly, I read this all in one sitting. It was full of gore, surprise, mystery and eeriness, everything a horror novel should have. I didn't think I would enjoy the second volume as much as I did the first but the way Ayatsuji tied it all up at the end was just amazing. I had suspected who the extra was from about 3/4 of the way through the first but I really loved how the Sakakibara actually has someone else tell him and it isn't some profound find where he has a realisation and everything is happy-go-lucky. No, this is a true mystery/novel.
 
 
SPOILERS AHEAD:
 
 
Like a true author, Ayatsuji kills off her characters carefully and somehow gets you to realise why they died and how it was important to the plot. For example, when Sakakibara's friend died of an injury outside of town, I literally thought 'WTF THAT'S AGAINST THE RULES!' but you later find out that the injury that caused his death happened whilst in the town of Yomiyama. I especially loved the end and how you generally feel sorry for Sakakibara because it's his own aunt that he's having to kill. In general I found the only thing wrong with this book was some of the grammar but I suppose we have the translators to blame for that*.
 
I would say my favourite character was definitely Mei. She just emits an aura of mystery around her and I felt really intrigued to know her backstory. Mei just manages to keep the story flowing as well and being a major character, I wonder what it would have been like to see from her point of view.
 
"Who is dead?"
 
 
 
*The mistakes weren't serious, just the odd mishap. It only happened about 5 times in the whole two volumes, I'm just one of the 'Grammar Police' I guess...

No comments:

Post a Comment